Sunday 23 October 2011

Local Author Event - W H Smith

I attended a local author event recently at W H Smith in Wellington. These events are a great way of meeting other writers as well has hopefully getting a sale or two!

I was very lucky to be sat right next to my own Mom, Phylis Blakemore who wrote 'Gentlemen of the River - The last Coracle men of the Severn Gorge' We had a lovely time chatting to customers and although we didn't sell loads of books, it was a lovely experience.

Pictured below is local author, Catherine Cooper. She was launching her new book 'Silver Hill' and has already enjoyed enormous success with her Jack Brennin series which will be turned into a film very soon.

It was so inspiring talking to her and this was the only chance I had to get a photograph as she had a constant stream of customers queuing to buy her books.




I didn't have to fight any queues off but I did make one sale which was lovely and I always appreciate the fact that a person is willing to pick up a copy and pay me for it. But that's not what it's all about. It gave me a great opportunity to spend several hours browsing the shelves and taking note on which writers are popular at the moment and which publishers they are using. This is so useful when preparing for my own future projects as I even found a new publisher that I may try submitting to.

I came away with a mind full of inspiration, a notebook crammed with information and enough money to buy a copy of the December issue of Writers Forum which has an article by Wrekin Writers very own Julie Phillips.

To me that's a sucess!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,
    That's wonderful stuff. I believe that your interaction with authors, is, very much, uplifting and inspiring for you.
    Well done for making a sale, but, as you note, the inspiration from your day out, bodes well for your writing future :)
    Happy writing, my friend.
    In kindness, Gary
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten you were doing that, Di! I meant to come down and see you and your mum. Glad you got the Dec issue of Writers' Forum - it's got loads of great info in it - never mind my daft article!

    See you soon,

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the event went well. Sorry I couldn't make it. Hope Catherine's launch went well too.

    ReplyDelete